Wednesday, October 10, 2012

The Religious "Nones" Arise

"PROTESTANTS LOSE MAJORITY STATUS IN U.S."
That was the headline for October 9, 2012 in the USA Today. For some this will be a bit of a surprise; it breaks into our comfortable Christian world. But if you've been following Kairos you won't be surprised at all. I don't want you to be dismayed either.

We're rather in the position of the two shoe salesmen who arrived in Africa at the beginning of the 20th century. One cables back to headquarters in dejection because no one wears shoes. The other cables back, "Send everything you can. Everyone needs shoes!"

Despite the growing number of people who mark "none" as their religious affiliation, the opportunity to have spiritual conversations is growing too. I have more and better conversations about faith and spirituality today than ever before.

Last week I sat by Derek on the plane to Denver. I discovered Derek and I were both going to Nashville. I also discovered that he was a musician, was getting ready to enroll in university as a 29 year old, that his parents were not religious at all, and that he had been baptized at a Church of Christ in Nashville as a teenager. I invited him to check out Ethos church at the Mercy Lounge or their new venue at Marathon Music. That could be a far stretch for a guy who is one of the 32% of the millennials who have let go of belief, but God is at work.

Watch the USA Today video and consider what you and your church need to do to be God's salt and light in the world today. Then call me at 360-609-6700 or email me at sgranberg@kairoschurchplanting.org.

No comments: